Over the last decade, anxiety has overtaken depression as the most common reason college students seek counseling services.
- In its annual survey of students, the American College Health Association found a significant increase—to 62% in 2016 from 50% in 2011—of undergraduates reporting “________________ ______________________.”
2 Chronicles 20:20-22 “Jehoshaphat bowed his head with his face to the ground; and all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem fell down before Jehovah, worshiping Jehovah.”
- Question: Are you a leader? Think about people you lead or influence. As the leader, Jehoshaphat used his influence to lead them to worship in a time of crisis! And the Levites, of the children of the Kohathites and of the children of the Korahites, stood up to praise Jehovah, the God of Israel, with an exceeding loud voice.
- Because Jehoshaphat led the way – worship instead of ________________ is breaking out among the people.
- Jehoshaphat’s strategy: 20 Early in the morning, they left for the Desert of Tekoa. As they set out, Jehoshaphat stood and said, “Listen to me, Judah and people of Jerusalem! Have faith in the Lord your God and you will be upheld; have faith in his prophets and you will be successful. 21 After consulting the people, the King appointed singers to walk ahead of the army, singing to the Lord and praising him for his holy splendor. This is what they sang: “Give thanks to the Lord; his faithful love endures forever!” As they began to sing and give praise, the Lord set ambushes against the men of Ammon and Moab and Mout Seir who were invading Judah, and they were defeated.”
- They moved forward in ___________________ to God.
- We can’t pretend like our problems don’t exist. But, we proactively step out in ______________________.
- So, a Peak of the Week power point this week:
Let’s convert our ________________ to ______________ and our ________________ to ___________________.
“I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!” Philippians 4:13
QUESTIONS & EXERCISES
For Daily Devotionals or Bible Study Group
- Why do you suppose there is an increasing amount of anxiety among both young and old today (setting the thought of our current crisis aside)? In what ways might this be connected to movements in our recent history that show a move further from God and the teachings of his word? How does a relationship with God help us deal with anxiety?
- As you read through 2 Chronicles 20, what steps did Jehoshaphat the King take in demonstrating excellent spiritual leadership? How is spiritual leadership different than leadership models in our world? Describe a few of the leadership steps the King took that you admire? How can you incorporate some of these steps into your leadership? Make a brief list of are-as where you have influence or exercise a degree of leadership? What do you hope for those that you influence?
- Why you suspect that Jehoshaphat put the singers out in front of the army? What are the ways that we can put singing or praise out ahead of our strategies and methods of handling our most significant difficulties?
- As a part of their praise, the people sang this verse: “Give thanks to the Lord; his faithful love endures forever!” (2 Chronicles 20:20-21). Why was it so critical to sing such a verse during a crisis? How did it help them to deal with potential fear or doubt? List some of the ways you have seen the faithful love of God demonstrated in difficult times:
- What are ways you can convert panic in a crisis to praise? What are some of your fears you are dealing with right now? How do you convert those fears to faith?