Lesson Eighteen: Rebekah, the Mother of Thousands of Millions
Lesson Text: Genesis 25:19-28
Lesson Aim: Learn important lessons for life from the experiences of Rebekah.
Memory Verse: Genesis 24:60
- Genesis 24-27
- Genesis 49:31
- Romans 9:10-13
- Who was Rebekah? What does her name mean?
Genesis 25:20 Isaac was 40 years old when he took Rebekah as wife, the daughter of Bethuel the Syrian of Padan Aram, the sister of Laban the Syrian
- How did she come to be Isaac’s wife? Genesis 24:1-67
- How is Rebekah’s appearance described? Genesis 24:15-16
Genesis 26:7 And the men of the place asked about his wife. And he said, “She is my sister”; for he was afraid to say, “She is my wife,” be-cause he thought, “lest the men of the place kill me for Rebekah, because she is beautiful to be-hold.”
- What physical condition did Rebekah have? How was it remedied?
Genesis 25:21 Now Isaac pleaded with the LORD for his wife, because she was barren; and the LORD granted his plea, and Rebekah his wife conceived
- Give the circumstances of the birth of Rebekah’s two sons. Genesis 25:21-28
- What promise did God make to Rebekah concerning her sons?
Genesis 25:23 And the LORD said to her: “Two nations are in your womb, Two peoples shall be separated from your body; One people shall be stronger than the other, And the older shall serve the younger.”
- How would you describe the early days of Isaac’s & Rebekah’s life together? Their latter days? Genesis 24:67; 25:26
- What sin in Rebekah’s life likely affected her marriage to Isaac?
Genesis 25:28 And Isaac loved Esau because he ate of his game, but Rebekah loved Jacob
- What did Rebekah do in order to obtain the favored blessing for Jacob? Genesis 27:1-30
- Why did Rebekah want Jacob to go to Padan-Aram? Genesis 27:43-46
- Describe Rebekah’s character, listing both her good and bad qualities?
- How is Rebekah like Sarah in this matter of the blessing for Jacob?
- What indicates that Rebekah and Isaac learned from their mistakes? Genesis 27:41-28:9
- What were the consequences of Rebekah’s and Isaac’s favoritism in their family life?
- What is the one great lesson from Rebekah’s life for you?