Lesson Twenty-one: Rachel and Leah, Which Two Did Build The House of Israel
Lesson Text: Genesis 29:15-30:24
Lesson Aim: Learn important lessons for life from the experiences of Rachel & Leah.
Memory Verse: Ruth 4:11 NKJV
And all the people who were at the gate, and the elders, said, “We are witnesses. The LORD make the woman who is coming to your house like Rachel and Leah, the two who built the house of Israel; and may you prosper in Ephrathah and be famous in Bethlehem.
- Genesis 29:15-30:24
- Ruth 4:11
- 1 Samuel 10:12
- Jeremiah 31:15
- Matthew 2:18
- Who are Rachel and Leah? What do their names mean? Genesis 29:16
- How are Rachel and Leah compared regarding their physical beauty? Genesis 29:17
- With whom did Jacob fall in love? Describe his love for her? Genesis 29:18-20
- What deceitful thing did Laban do to Jacob concerning Rachel? Genesis 29:21-24
- How did God bless Leah above Rachel? Why did He do this? Genesis 29:31-35
- How does Rachel approach the matter of her barrenness? Genesis 40:1-24
- Name the sons of Leah.
- Name the sons of Rachel.
- How did Rachel and Leah feel toward their father after twenty years witnessing his dealings with Jacob? Genesis 31:14-16
- Where are Rachel and Leah buried? Genesis 35:19
Genesis 48:7 NKJV But as for me, when I came from Padan, Rachel died beside me in the land of Canaan on the way, when there was but a little distance to go to Ephrath; and I buried her there on the way to Ephrath (that is, Bethlehem).”
Genesis 49:31 NKJV There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife, there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife, and there I buried Leah.
- In what relation does Leah stand to the scheme of redemption?
Genesis 29:35 NKJV And she conceived again and bore a son, and said, “Now I will praise the LORD.” Therefore she called his name Judah. Then she stopped bearing.
- What obvious problems did polygamy introduce into the relation between these two sisters?
- Compare and contrast the development of Rachel’s and Leah’s faith in the LORD.
- What sins in these two women’s lives must have influenced the development of their children? Give examples of your answer.
- What one great lesson from the lives of Rachel and Leah is there for you?