Lesson Twenty-three: Joseph, God Was With Him
Lesson Text: Genesis 37:1-36
Lesson Aim: Learn important lessons for life from the experiences of Joseph.
Acts 7:9 NKJV “And the patriarchs, becoming envious, sold Joseph into Egypt. But God was with him”
Acts 7:9 HCSB “The patriarchs became jealous of Joseph and sold him into Egypt, but God was with him”
Acts 7:9 ESV “And the patriarchs, jealous of Joseph, sold him into Egypt; but God was with him”
- Genesis 30:22-24
- Exodus 13:17-19
- Joshua 24:32
- Acts 7:8-18
- Hebrews 11:22
- Who was Joseph? Genesis 30:22-24 What does his name mean?
- How did Jacob feel about Joseph? Why? Genesis 37:3-4
- What gift from God did Joseph possess? Genesis 37:5-11; 41:16 How did Joseph use it?
- How did Joseph’s brethren feel toward him? Why? Genesis 37:2, 4, 5, 11, 18
- How came Joseph to be in Egypt? Who was with Joseph in Egypt? Acts 7:9
- How is Joseph’s appearance described in Scripture? Genesis 39:6 Why is this significant?
- What kind of treatment did Joseph receive when he first came to Egypt? How did this affect Joseph’s outlook? Genesis 39:9, 20; 40:15, 23; 45:1-16
- What good thing came upon Joseph because of the dream of Pharaoh? How did Joseph’s character weather this change in fortune?
- How did Joseph behave when providence gave him an opportunity for revenge?
- After God, what seems to be most important to Joseph?
- Describe the character of Joseph.
- How is Joseph a type of Christ?
- Give examples from the life of Joseph that demonstrate that he was indeed a man of faith.
- What is the fruit of favoritism when it exists within the family circle?
- What is the one great lesson for you from Joseph’s life?