I remember Christmas disappointments; left-winger equipment instead of goalie equipment; toboggan instead of pool table… Does anybody remember theirs? The problem many times as children are that we are not clear on what was promised.
I want to go over a shortlist of things we might be confused about when it comes to God’s promises:
- Always be with you (Hebrews 13:5)
- Provide what you need (Matthew 6:31-33)
- Execute final justice (Romans 12:17-19
- You will not be condemned (Romans 8:1)
- You will resurrect and live eternally (I Thessalonians 4:13-18)
DID NOT PROMISE
- It would be easy
- Provide what you want
- Life would be fair
- You will not make mistakes
- You will not suffer and die
So, this Christmas as we look forward to all the fun and joy of our time around the tree and then look forward to the New Year, let us remember that all the really good and precious gifts that are worth having, God has promised them to us already.
And when we are discouraged or disappointed in life or with God, it is usually over things He did not promise us to begin with. So what’s the point? Stay focused on the things actually promised; they are the better things anyways!