How We Persist & Persevere
Hebrews 12:11-13 NKJV Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it. 12 Therefore strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees, 13 and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated, but rather be healed.
- Tennis great Bjorn Borg said: “My greatest point is my persistence. I never give up in a match. However down I am, I fight until the last ball. My list of matches shows that I have turned a great many so-called irretrievable defeats into victories.”
- Thomas Edison said: “The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one time more.”
- Robert Frost said: “The best way out is always through.”
- Winston Churchill said: “Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.”
- And then most importantly, King Solomon said in Proverbs 24:16 NKJV “For the righteous falls seven times and rises again, but the wicked stumble in times of calamity.”
What wears us down, tempts us to quit and throw in the towel?
Three things might wear us down if we let them:
- A_______________________. James 1:3; 12
- B______________________. 2 Thessalonians 3:13, Galatians 6:9 He knew a danger tiredness posed.
- C______________________. Proverbs 16:28
How do we persist?
How do we persevere?
I need to keep clear on D_________________ I should persist. If you have a big enough why you’ll figure out the how.
- Because persistence makes me more E__________ F____________. Romans 5:1-5
- By persisting, I G_________________ others.
You’ll inspire H_____________ I_______________. I Thessalonians 1:7
You’ll inspire J_______ K____________________. 2 Timothy 1:7-8
QUESTIONS & EXERCISES
For Daily Devotionals or Bible Study Group
- Do you recall a time in your life when you persisted in something, and the persistence paid off in that you experienced or gained something that you would never have had you given up? What caused you to press on when you felt like quitting?
- Of the three things that wear on us, tests, tiredness, and turmoil, which, if any, are you experiencing right now? How have these either in the past or present impacted your walk with God?
- What did Jesus do when he was weary or tired? (John 4:4-6; Matthew 14:13-15). When Paul said, “do not grow weary in doing good…”, he didn’t say never to rest. Why is it difficult at times for us to rest? What is a good balance between the two?
- Paul spoke of tribulations bringing about perseverance, perseverance, proven character, and proven character, hope (Romans 5:3-5). How has persevering through trials shaped your character for the better? How has it given you hope for what tests are potentially ahead in your life?
- In what ways do you see persistence and perseverance demonstrated in the life of Jesus? How does our persistence in our walk with Jesus inspire other believers? Non-believers? How has someone’s persistent faith amid trials inspired and influenced your own?