Peak of the Week: My God and I – Part 4 of 4
If humans, good men, and women, can become our best friends to supply support, respect, positive reinforcement, forgiveness, and unconditional love, think of the level of friendship God as our Friend, can supply! He is not only our Father but our Friend as well.
As David said in Psalm 34:15 NKJV The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous, And His ears are open to their cry. Compare Jeremiah 3:4, James 2:23, Abraham a “friend of God.”
WHAT IT MEANS FOR GOD TO BE MY FRIEND
- He is the One I can A___________________________________ in always! Psalm 25:1 “In you, Lord my God, I put my trust.” Psalm 31:6-7 “I hate those who cling to worthless idols; as for me, I trust in the Lord.”
- Our friendship with God is B______________________________________! The Bible speaks of a God “who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment” 1 Timothy 6:17. David says in Psalm 35:9, “My soul will rejoice in the Lord and delight in his salvation.”
- He is open to C_______________________________________ discussions. Take the time to read 3 different Psalms, two by David and one by Asaph. Each of these will show you how to have an intimate discussion with God including our confusion about his plans, our anger as to how we feel we are being treated, and our raw openness about the sins we have committed. Here are the three: Psalm 26; Psalm 51; and Psalm 73.
MY GOD AND MY FRIEND!
He will D_______________________________________ me. Paul’s description of serving as a father role model included these words that would describe God as well: “we (I) dealt with each of you as a father deals with his own children, encouraging, comforting, and urging you to live lives worthy of God.” Note those three words – encouraging, comforting, urging. That’s what a good father does as well as a close friend. And God is both our Father and Friend!
MY FUNCTION AS A FRIEND OF GOD
- I’ll accept His E____________________________ into my life. Proverbs 27:5-6 says, “Better is open rebuke than hidden love; wounds from a friend can be trusted.”
- I’ll include Him in every F __________________________ of my life. As a saying goes, “He is either Lord of all, or Lord of none.” He is that “friend who sticks closer than a brother.” He is interested in everything you do and available for any and every situation.
- I’ll befriend Him with great G_______________________! Proverbs speak of the “pleasantness of a friend.” God, as our friends do, knows when it’s appropriate to “weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who rejoice” Romans 12:15. Our God is that ultimate Friend who brings us incredible joy!
- I’ll be H__________________________________ to Him! This last point speaks of one of the true tests of good friendship – loyalty! Proverbs 27:10 says that we are not to “forsake our friends”. God gives us this promise in Hebrews 13:5: “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
“My God and I go in the field together,
We walk and talk as good friends should and do;
We clasp our hands, our voices ring with laughter,
My God and I walk through the meadow’s hue.”