Men and Women of the Bible: Reuben
Lesson Twenty-four: Reuben, Unstable /As Water
Lesson Aim: Learn important lessons for life from the experiences of Reuben.
Lesson Text: Genesis 37:18-35
Memory Verse: Genesis 49:3-4 NKJV
“Reuben, you are my firstborn, My might and the beginning of my strength, The excellency of dignity and the excellency of power. 4 Unstable as water, you shall not excel, Because you went up to your father’s bed; Then you defiled it – He went up to my couch.”
- Genesis 29:32
- 1 Chronicles 5:1
- Who was Reuben? What does his name mean? Genesis 29:32
- How was his birth viewed by his mother? Genesis 29:32 What does this indicate about the marital relation-ship of Jacob and Leah?
- What did Reubendo after Jacob came back to Canaan? Genesis 35:22
- As a result of this act of Reuben’s what did Jacob do? 1 Chronicles 5:1
- When Joseph’s brother’s want to kill him, what did Reuben suggest? Genesis 37:22
- What is Reuben’s plan? Genesis 37:22
- Years later in Egypt how does Reuben describe his actions in the matter of Joseph?
- Does Reuben accurately represent the matter? Genesis 42:21,22; cf. 37:26-28
- After Simeon is captured, what does Reuben offer as security for Benjamin’s safety?
- How does Jacob describe Reuben’s character in Genesis 49:3-5?
- Do you see any transformation of character in Reuben during his lifetime?
- What expectations did Jacob have of Reuben as his firstborn?
- What circumstances in his home life may have contributed to his instability?
- What were the fortunes and successes of the descendants of Reuben in Israel?
- What is the one great lesson from Reuben’s life for you?