Lesson Fourteen: Hagar, the Bondwoman
Lesson Text: Genesis 16:1-16
Lesson Aim: Learn important lessons for life from the experiences of Hagar.
Memory Verse: Galatians 4:30-31 NKJV
Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the free-woman.” 31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.
- Genesis 16:1-16; 21:9-21
- Galatians 4:1-31
- Who was Hagar?
Genesis 16:1 NKJV Now Sarai, Abram’s wife, had borne him no children. And she had an Egyptian maidservant whose name was Hagar.
What does her name mean?
cf. Genesis 21:14 NKJV So Abraham rose early in the morning, and took bread and a skin of water; and putting it on her shoulder, he gave it and the boy to Hagar, and sent her away. Then she departed and wandered in the Wilderness of Beersheba.
- What plan did Sarah have that involved Hagar? Genesis 16:2-3
What happened? Genesis 16:4
- What feelings did Hagar have toward Sarah now? Genesis 16:4;
cf. Proverbs 30:21-23 NKJV For three things the earth is perturbed, Yes, for four it cannot bear up: 22 For a servant when he reigns, A fool when he is filled with food, 23 A hateful woman when she is married, And a maidservant who succeeds her mistress.
- How did Sarah treat Hagar after this? Genesis 16:6
What did Hagar do?
- What did the angel of the Lord tell Hagar to do? Genesis 16:7-9
Did she obey?
- What child was born to Abram of Hagar? Genesis 16:15
- Several years later what does Abraham do with Hagar?
Genesis 21:14 NKJV So Abraham rose early in the morning, and took bread and a skin of water; and putting it on her shoulder, he gave it and the boy to Hagar, and sent her away. Then she departed and wandered in the Wilderness of Beersheba.
- What became of Hagar and Ishmael in the wilderness?
Genesis 21:15-16 NKJV And the water in the skin was used up, and she placed the boy under one of the shrubs. 16 Then she went and sat down across from him at a distance of about a bowshot; for she said to herself, “Let me not see the death of the boy.” So she sat opposite him, and lifted her voice and wept.
- What promise did the Angel of God renew to Hagar?
Genesis 21:18 NKJV Arise, lift up the lad and hold him with your hand, for I will make him a great nation.”
- What became of Hagar?
- In the years between the birth of Ishmael and her being sent away, what had Hagar for-gotten? cf. Genesis 16:13-14 and 21:15-16
- In Galatians 4:22-31, of what is Hagar a type?
- What sin of Hagar affected her relationship with Sarah and Abraham? Why?
- Was Hagar’s relationship to Abraham and Sarah a help or hindrance to her faith in God?
- What is the one great lesson from Hagar’s life for you?