Lesson Two: Eve, the Mother of All Living
Lesson Text: Genesis 3:1-24
Lesson Aim: Learn important life lessons from the experiences of Eve
Memory Verse: 2 Corinthians 11:3 NKJV
But I fear, lest somehow, as the serpent deceived Eve by his craftiness, so your minds may be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.
- Genesis 1-3
- 1 Corinthians 14:34
- 2 Corinthians 11:1-3
- 1 Timothy 2:9-15
- How did the creation of the woman differ from the creation of the man?
Genesis 2:22 HCSB Then the LORD God made the rib He had taken from the man into a woman and brought her to the man.
- Why did God create the woman for man?
Genesis 2:18 HCSB Then the LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper as his complement.”
- What is the specific duty of every wife?
Genesis 2:18; Genesis 3:16 HCSB He said to the woman: I will I intensify your labor pains; you will bear children in anguish. Your desire will be for your husband, yet he will rule over you.
- By what names does Adam call his wife?
Genesis 2:23 HCSB And the man said: This one, at last, is bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh; this one will be called “woman,” for she was taken from man. What does each mean?
Genesis 3:20 HCSB Adam named his wife Eve because she was the mother of all the living.
- Whom did the Lord command concerning the trees of Eden?
Genesis 2:15-17 HCSB The LORD God took the man and placed him in the garden of Eden to work it and watch over it. 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree of the garden, 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for on the day you eat from it, you will certainly die.”
Genesis 3:17 HCSB And He said to Adam, “Because you listened to your wife’s voice and ate from the tree about which I commanded you, ‘Do not eat from it’: The ground is cursed because of you. You will eat from it by means of painful labor all the days of your life.
- How was Satan able to deceive Eve?
2 Corinthians 11:3 HCSB But I fear that, as the serpent deceived Eve by his cunning, your minds may be seduced from a complete and pure devotion to Christ.
- How is Eve remembered in Scripture concerning her sin?
Timothy 2:14 HCSB And Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and transgressed.
Genesis 3:13 HCSB So the LORD God asked the woman, “What is this you have done?” And the woman said, “It was the serpent. He deceived me, and I ate.”
- How were Adam’s sin and Eve’s sin different?
Romans 5:14, cf. Genesis 3:12,13,17; 1 Timothy 2:14; Job 31:33; 2 Corinthians 11:33
How were they the same?
- What was the punishment that God gave to Eve because of her sin?
Genesis 3:16 HCSB He said t o the woman: I will intensify your labor pains; you will bear children in anguish. Your desire will be for your husband, yet he will rule over you.
- What role would Eve play in the redemption of the world?
1 Timothy 2:15 HCSB But she will be saved through childbearing, if she continues in faith, love, and holiness, with good judgment.
Galatians 4:4 HCSB When the time came to completion, God sent His Son, born of a woman, born under the law.
- What are the steps which lead to sin exemplified in Eve’s transgression?
Genesis 3:6 HCSB Then the woman saw that the tree was good for food and delightful to look at, and that it was desirable for obtaining wisdom. So she took some of its fruit and ate (it) she also gave (some) to her husband, (who was) with her, and he ate (it).
- What character traits, good or bad, did Eve possess?
- What effect did Eve’s sin have upon her husband and children?
What effect does her sin have upon us?
What can we learn from this?
- How does Eve measure up as a wife and mother?
- What is the one great lesson from Eve’s life for you?