Men and Women of the Bible: Abraham
Lesson Nine: Abraham, Father of the Faithful
Lesson Text: Romans 4:1-25
Lesson Aim: Learn important lessons for life from the experiences of Abraham.
Memory Verse: Romans 4:12 NKJV
And the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also walk in the steps of the faith which our father Abraham had while still uncircumcised.
- Genesis 12-25
- Joshua 24:2,3
- 2 Chronicles 20:7
- Psalms 105:6-10
- Isaiah 41:8
- Acts 7:2-8
- Romans 4:1-25
- Galatians 3:1-29
- Hebrews 11:8-19
- James 2:21-24
- What does Abraham mean? Why was Abram given this name?
Genesis 17:5 NKJV No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you a father of many nations.
- From what religious background did God call Abraham to follow Him?
Joshua 24:2-3 NKJV And Joshua said to all the people, “Thus says the LORD God of Israel: ‘Your fathers, including Terah, the father of Abraham and the father of Nahor, dwelt on the other side of the River in old times; and they served other gods. 3 Then I took your father Abraham from the other side of the River, led him throughout all the land of Canaan, and multiplied his descendants and gave him Isaac.
- What great men may have influenced Abraham when he was young? Genesis 11:10-32
- What epithets are given to Abraham in the Scriptures?
Psalm 105:6 NKJV O seed of Abraham His servant, You children of Jacob, His chosen ones!
Isaiah 41:8 NKJV “But you, Israel, are My servant, Jacob whom I have chosen, The descendants of Abraham My friend.
Romans 4:12 NKJV and the father of circumcision to those who not only are of the circumcision, but who also walk in the steps of the faith which our father Abraham had while still uncircumcised.
Galatians 3:9 NKJV So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham.
James 2:21-24 NKJV Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
- What good character traits do you find in Abraham the man? What were his faults?
- Give examples of Abraham’s influence as a father?
Genesis 18:19 NKJV For I have known him, in order that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the LORD, to do righteousness and justice, that the LORD may bring to Abraham what He has spoken to him.”
- How would you describe Abraham as a husband? Why?
- Abraham’s life shows a definite progression in his faith. Identify several events in his life that exemplify this growth in faith.
- What influence did Abraham have on those about him? Give examples of this influence.
- What would you choose as the greatest challenge faced in the life of Abraham? Why?
- In what relation does Abraham stand to the scheme of redemption?
- Did Abraham understand the nature of the promise which God made to him in Ur concerning his seed and a land? See: Hebrews 11:8-16
- How could Abraham be described as faithful to, a servant and a friend of God when he was known to have lied, been unbelieving and slow to obey at times?
- How is Abraham the father of the faithful and how are we his children?
- What is the one great lesson in Abraham’s life for you?