5 Critical Areas for Spiritual Growth
“We will in all things grow up into him…” Ephesians 4:15
Where do I begin…without feeling overwhelmed?
As the scripture above says, our desire should be to grow “in all things” pertaining to God and our spiritual walk with him. But to focus on the “all” would be overwhelming to most of us. We have to take life a step at a time. In this lesson, we are focusing on five critical areas where all Christians should have a strong foundation that will assist them in their future growth into “all things”. While these are not the only areas, they are very important ones and could serve as your beginning point as well as a reference point when you are feeling stuck in your walk with the Lord.
- A______________________________________ WITH GOD Psalm 42:1-2; 2 Cor. 6:14-7:1
Five Critical Areas for Spiritual Growth “Life is a Growth Adventure!” Series Overview:
We are to “grow up into Christ” Ephesians. 4:15 and to “grow up in your salvation” 1 Peter 2:2.
Have you reached your full potential for spiritual growth? Are there some areas of spirituality where you wish you were stronger? Do the demands of your life intrude on your desires to grow in the Lord? Do you feel your spiritual life is sometimes stale or stuck? Do you know how to gauge your growth? Are you aware of what next steps you need to take?
- Walking with God as my Father – 1 John 1:5-7
- Walking with Jesus as my Friend – John 15:5
- Walking with the Spirit as my Guide – Galatians 5:25
- BIBLE B_____________________________________________ 2 Tim. 2:15; 1 Peter 3:15
- Milk of the Word – 1 Peter 2:2; John 20:31
- Solid Food – Hebrews 5:12-14
- Meat of the Word – John 4:31-34
- DAILY C____________________________________________ Psalm 1:2; Mark 1:32; Acts 2:46-47; 1 Cor. 15:31
Make a list of daily habits you need to develop:
- INEVITABLE I_____________________________________ John 16:33; 2 Cor. 4:16-18; James 1:2-4
Death, divorce, loss of job, financial loss, natural disasters, health issues, family challenges, persecution, world conditions, unexpected setbacks, heartaches…
- SPIRITUAL J______________________________________ James 4:7; 1 Peter 5:8-9
- Personal defense against the Evil One
- Personal offense for the advancement of the kingdom of God
QUESTIONS & EXERCISES
For Daily Devotionals or Bible Study Group
- Take time to download off the Peak of the Week website one of our free resources called “Where Am I on the Spiritual Growth Path?” If you have not used this to evaluate yourself, do so now. If you have already, look at the 20 areas mentioned on this diagnostic and list be-low at least three of the areas listed that need some attention right now in your spiritual walk.
- See if you can add to the list of 20 on the above form. Can you list at least three other areas that would qualify as common areas for spiritual growth?
- As stated in the message, the first area listed is your “Intimacy with God”. Why is this one area so very important and critical to the development in the other areas as well? What do you think it means to have an “intimate” relationship God?
- Can you list some specific circumstances in your lifetime where spiritual lessons were learned, and spiritual growth was increased due to something “bad” happening in your life?
- Since temptation (spiritual warfare) is a reality while we are living on this earth, take a moment to read James 1:13-15 and list some lessons learned from this one passage.