To overcome temptations
Ephesians 6:12: “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”
- Week one: Because of the ___________________________ we receive.
- Week two: For the __________________________________ that we gain, in anxious times.
- Today’s Reason: To overcome ________________________________________.
Matthew 26:41: “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.”
What are your greatest temptations?
Temptation takes several forms: The lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the boastful pride of life. – I John 2:16
- So Jesus said to do two things: ____________________ and __________________________.
- To watch is to stay ______________________________.
Being watchful includes knowing your vulnerabilities, your surroundings, and to look for the way out!
- I Corinthians 10:13: “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”
- Proverbs 22:3 says, “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty.”
Pray for what? “…that you will not _________________ into temptation.”
- Hebrews 4:16 says, “Let us approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.”
QUESTIONS & EXERCISES
For Daily Devotionals or Bible Study Group
- Paul uses the language of spiritual battle to describe our spiritual life (Ephesians 6:12).
- How would you describe your spiritual challenges and struggles?
- How does it make you feel to know that there are evil spiritual forces allied against us as believers?
- How would you describe to someone who asked, the nature of temptation in our life?
- Is temptation a sin? Why or why not?
- For your private introspection, what are the things that most tempt you in life?
- Why is it important to be aware of your areas of vulnerability?
- Jesus said: “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.” (Matthew 26:41)
- In what way do the disciples struggle to stay awake, serve as an analogy for each of our human weakness in sin?
- Are there areas in your life where you have made firm decisions regarding repentance and change, but where you keep stumbling?
- What strategies does the term “watch” imply that you need to incorporate into your life?
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 “No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.”
- Why do you suppose Paul spoke about the universal struggle we share in temptations that are commonly faced by others?
- How does that help you in your battle?
- How is God “faithful” to us when we are tempted?
- What are some ways in which you have experienced God’s way out of certain temptations?
- In Hebrews 4:16, God teaches us to come with boldness to his throne of grace and mercy. Imagine yourself at the throne, asking your great God for help with temptation.
- How would you word your prayer?
- How does it make you feel that God is not indifferent or uninvolved in our struggle with temptation?