Inheritance—What We Have
To thrive and get out of the mode of barely surviving, we need to hear and take into each of our hearts powerful doses of truth about who we are and what’s possible!
Ephesians 1:3-10 NKJV Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and with-out blame before Him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 o the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He has made us accepted in the Beloved. 7 in Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace 8 which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, 9 having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself, 10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth–in Him.
- God has lavished us with ______________________ ______________________. Don’t you love that word? Verse 8 – “in accordance with the riches Of God’s grace that he lavished on us.”
God hasn’t merely lavished us with spiritual blessings; he has given us ___________________ spiritual blessing “In Christ!” That phrase “in Christ” is critical to understand: He bestowed them upon us through and in the gift of his Son, Jesus Christ And, here’s more to come! In 1 Corinthians 2:9-10, “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love him.”
In Ephesians 1:14, Paul said that the Holy Spirit that’s been given to us is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession. It’s critical to know not only who we are, but what we __________________ if we are going to thrive and not just survive.
- The gifts are _________________ and _____________________.
A few to get started: “In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins.” Ephesians 1:7
QUESTIONS & EXERCISES
For Daily Devotionals or Bible Study Group
- In the past two messages, Kevin has focused on who we are and what we have in Christ. Why do we need these reminders? What are practical ways that will help us to remain aware of our God-given identity and what we possess in Jesus so that it transforms the way we live each day?
- Paul said that we have been blessed “in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that he lavished on us.” What does the term “lavished” mean to you? God’s grace has provided mercy and forgiveness. What other gifts have you received through God’s grace?
- The blessings of God Paul mentions, although spiritual, are real and practical. How do gifts like forgiveness, redemption, hope, and the presence of the Spirit, help us practically, to thrive, day-to-day?
- In the podcast, Kevin focused on how there is more to come. Read 1 Corinthians 2:9-10. In what ways does this statement give you hope today? In what ways does it energize and motivate you?
- William Randolph Hearst wanted a piece of Art he already owned, and he was unaware he owned it and it was in one of his storehouses unopened. What riches have you discovered in Ephesians 1, that you were unaware or had forgotten you possessed in Christ?