Lesson Six: Two Men Named Lamech, A Study In Contrasts
Lesson Text: Genesis 4:16-26
Lesson Aim: Learn important lessons for life from the experiences of two very different men named Lamech.
Memory Verse: Luke 3:36 NKJV the son of Cainan, the son of Arphaxad, the son of Shem, the son of Noah, the son of Lamech.
- Genesis 4:16-26
- Genesis 5:26-31 NKJV After he begot Lamech, Methuselah lived seven hundred and eighty-two years, and had sons and daughters. 27 So all the days of Methuselah were nine hundred and sixty-nine years; and he died. 28 Lamech lived one hundred and eighty-two years, and had a son. 29 And he called his name Noah, saying, “This one will comfort us concerning our work and the toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD has cursed.” 30 After he begot Noah, Lamech lived five hundred and ninety-five years, and had sons and daughters. 31 So all the days of Lamech were seven hundred and seventy-seven years; and he died.
- Luke 3:36
- 1 Chronicles 1:1 NKJV Adam, Seth, Enosh
- Where does Cain go after he murders Abel? Who does he find there?
Genesis 4:16-17 NKJV Then Cain went out from the presence of the LORD and dwelt in the land of Nod on the east of Eden. 17 And Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch. And he built a city, and called the name of the city after the name of his son – Enoch.
- With what do Cain and his descendants occupy themselves?
Genesis 4:20-22 NKJV And Adah bore Jabal. He was the father of those who dwell in tents and have livestock. 21 His brother’s name was Jubal. He was the father of all those who play the harp and flute. 22 And as for Zillah, she also bore Tubal-Cain, an instructor of every craftsman in bronze and iron. And the sister of Tubal-Cain was Naamah.
Cf Genesis 4:26 NKJV And as for Seth, to him also a son was born; and he named him Enosh. Then men began to call on the name of the LORD.
- Who was Cain’s great-great-great-great grandson? What does his name mean?
- What does he have the distinction of being the first mentioned in the Bible?
Genesis 4:19 NKJV Then Lamech took for himself two wives: the name of one was Adah, and the name of the second was Zillah.
- What did grandson and grandfather have in common?
Genesis 4:23 NKJV Then Lamech said to his wives: “Adah and Zillah, hear my voice; Wives of Lamech, listen to my speech! For I have killed a man for wounding me, Even a young man for hurting me.
- What third son was born to Adam and Eve? What does his name mean?
Genesis 4:25 NKJV And Adam knew his wife again, and she bore a son and named him Seth, “For God has appointed another seed for me instead of Abel, whom Cain killed.”
- Describe the character of Seth and his descendants? Genesis 4:26
- Name the son born to Methuselah.
Genesis 5:25 NKJV Methuselah lived one hundred and eighty-seven years, and begot Lamech.
- What great man surely influenced this son?
Genesis 5:21-24 NKJV Enoch lived sixty-five years, and begot Methuselah. 22 After he begot Methuselah, Enoch walked with God three hundred years, and had sons and daughters. 23 So all the days of Enoch were three hundred and sixty-five years. 24 And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him.
- Who was born to Lamech that would have a great influence on the world?
Genesis 5:29 NKJV And he called his name Noah, saying, “This one will comfort us concerning our work and the toil of our hands, because of the ground which the LORD has cursed.”
- Compare Cain with his grandson Lamech.
- Compare and contrast Lamech of Cain with Lamech of Seth.
- What does it mean to “call upon the name of the Lord” in Genesis 4:26?
- What do you learn about Lamech in his naming of Noah? Genesis 5:29
- What is the one great lesson from the life of either of these men for you?